Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Wednesday Night Fights

Wednesday Night Fights is what I watched tonight, usually the boxing isn't all that good but let's be honest, I saw the De La Hoya vs Mayweather fight and honestly it wasn't that good either. As a diehard boxing fan it pains me to say that the fight that was supposed to save boxing did not even leave me with lasting memories. Anyway I watch pretty much every edition of Wednesday and Friday Night Fights because every once in a while you see a pair of very talented and rising boxers go after each other and it gives boxing fans a glimmer of hope for the future. Anyway this post isn't about boxing I just didn't have any other titles which remotely tied in to the fact that this is Wednesday.

On tap for today, my U.S. Open preview (yes I am talking about golf), and unless I come up with something else before I'm done writing that, then that will be all.


I will be the first one to admit that I don't know a whole lot about golf, more than the average person? Probably, but I am by no means an expert on the game (I have trouble calling it a sport for two reasons, because their is a tour for your mother and your grandfather, and because John Daly plays, but that's a different topic for a different day). Anyway, the U.S. Open starts tomorrow with the first groups teeing off before my main demographic rolls out of bed, and while I probably will not catch any of it until I flip to it between commercial breaks of something else this weekend, the event is a pretty big deal. Also there is no way it won't be more entertaining than the NBA finals. If you are wondering, yes this is the first time that golf has ever been able to legitimately claim that it is more exciting than basketball played by people with a "y" chromosome. However, moving right a long, here's what you should know about the upcoming U.S. Open.

This year's Masters winner Zach Johnson will win the U.S. Open. OK, maybe not, but if you are an obsessive gambler leading you to bet on things like golf, you should check what Zach Johnson's odds are, because he's most likely a long-ish shot, and put your money on him instead of Tiger who is probably at even odds to win or Phil Mickelson who's wrist might makes him a terrible choice. After hanging up with your bookie, you should then immediately dial 1-800-bets off. I guess what I'm saying is, Zach Johnson is a dark horse, but a really good one who has a legitimate shot to win. Oakmont is a course that plays right into Johnson's strengths. While Johnson doesn't hit the longest ball on tour, he is extremely accurate which should keep him out of the courses' treacherous bunkers and extremely thick and difficult roughs. Most people agree it isn't going to take incredibly low scores to win this tournament, it will mostly just be whoever messes up the least and I believe that will be Zach Johnson.

In case you were wondering, a friend of mine informed me as I was writing this that someone on ESPN also picked Johnson to win the U.S. Open, making my prediction look less impressive when it comes to pass. Well you know what? Screw them, I thought of it first but I was busy helping my nieces put their toys away so I couldn't post until now.


Well that's all for my Wednesday addition, check back on Sunday to see me gloat about being right about Zach Johnson . . . Or check back Friday when I pretend this whole thing never happened after Johnson misses the cut.

No comments: