Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Here Goes Nothin'

Welcome to the debut of Big O Sports Blog. Hopefully one day I will have developed a cult-like following and this post will pop up on Google searches worldwide as readers try to find how the greatest thing on the web got started. And when that day comes anyone reading this right now officially has my permission to claim that they knew about me before I got big and became a sellout to ESPN. But for now, here are just a few things on my mind today. Today's lineup includes, what's wrong with college baseball, Kevin Durant bench presses less than some girls I know, and me shamefully admitting to having watched the Women's College World Series (they will appear in that order).

The Problem With College Baseball

First of all, I just have to say that something is seriously wrong with the way the NCAA men's baseball tournament is set up. Four of the tournaments top eight seeds (Vanderbilt, Texas, Florida State, San Diego) were eliminated in regional play this past weekend. Now I am all for parity and competitive balance but when half of the supposedly eight best teams in the country get knocked out in the first round, thats an issue. I suppose you could argue that the top eight national seeds were simply overrated, but you would certainly be wrong in this case. All four of the teams eliminated had fantastic regular seasons and were loaded with talent. It just seems as though the current system is not very good at rewarding teams for how well they played for the duration of the long season. I believe where the problem comes in is the fact that each individual regional is made just about as good as possible to create a more competitive atmosphere, and as a result the top eight nationals seeds don't have that much easier a road than anyone else. The regional rounds should be set up in the same fashion the basketball tournament pairings are made, the best teams during the regular season are rewarded by being given the easiest path to get to the College World Series. Sure it makes for less competitive regional competition, but to be frank, that really doesn't matter. College baseball games for the most part are not televised on a large scale until the super regional round. Basically what would happen is there would be some pretty serious heavyweight matchups in the super regionals and the winner of those knockdown-drag outs would be worthy of getting to Omaha. This would create, drama, excitement, and of course, good television. It would be a win for college baseball fans, a win for the teams who were most successful during the regular season, and a win for the networks carrying the games. Instead this year we get to watch overmatched teams who squeaked through their regionals, give the second tier of baseball programs a free pass to the College World Series. It is just a shame.

Kevin Durant, Prodigy on the Court, Wee Girl in the Weight Room

Well if you follow the NBA at all, by now you have surely heard that Kevin Durant failed to bench press 185 lbs at a recent pre-draft workout. In reality this story could not matter less, it just makes me feel good about myself, seeing as I can bench press 185 lbs (and then some actually, several times in fact, I'll show you). Truth be told, Durant will still go number two overall in the draft, he still scores more or less at will and when he feels like it can rebound and defend with the best of them. But let it be said that I, of similar age as Kevin Durant, and of superior strength while playing for a small Christian college basketball team, would like to be considered by the Celtics at the number five selection. Everyone knows they really wanted Durant, just ask Bill Simmons aka The Sports Guy (ESPN.com's page 2 section), but why select Durant when they could have me; a sharp shooter who out benches the player briefly known as a Texas Longhorn by at least 70 lbs . . . that's right, 70. There are two important things lost in the fact that Durant benches less than several girls I went to high school with; 1. Whoever was getting paid to get Durant ready for the draft and these workouts should be fired immediately. What, someone forgot to tell Durant's trainer that teams pinning their future on a guy might be interested in how strong he is? The guy has had three months since Durant stopped being a college student (don't kid yourself, Durant didn't attend a single class second semester, even if his transcript says differently) to work with this kid, and he couldn't get the future number two pick to bench his own weight? I have one word the for that trainer, BOOT! This is the biggest predraft workout blunder since Vince Young's posse forgot to tell him to study for the Wonderlic test, leading to Young misspelling his own name to receive the lowest test score in the history of mankind (OK I made up the part about misspelling his name, but would it surprise you? Maybe it is just a U of Texas thing). this reminds me, is there anyway we can get the monkey that got a 13 on the ACT to take the Wonderlic to see if he can outscore Vince? And finally the second important thing being missed due to Durant's noodle arms is the fact that Greg Oden is a certifiable freak. Oden outperformed Durant (who is by all accounts a great overall athlete) in speed, agility, and strength (duh) drills. Durant is going to be a great ball player but Oden is just a once in a generation talent.

Yes, I Watched the WCWS, Quit Judging Me

Alright, I admit it, I watched the NCAA softball championship. Not just the final game, but several games. There, I acknowledged the elephant in the room. Now let's try and get past that. Here are some of my thoughts on the whole thing. First, you just have to feel bad for Tennessee's pitcher Monica Abbott. She pretty much shattered every NCAA pitching mark out there while putting Lady Vols softball on the national scene (however small that scene may be). Abbott was absolutely dominant throughout the WCWS, not allowing a run until the second game of the championship series, and allowing her team with their anemic offense to come within a myriad of missed opportunities of becoming national champions. Anyway, mad props to Monica Abbott, even not giving a rip about softball, you have to appreciate dominance when you see it. Second, ladies, if you want people to take you seriously as athletes, play on a field designed for adults please. I played on a field with bases 60 feet apart when I was somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 years old. Every two-hopper to the left side of the infield is a base hit, seriously, there needs to be some adjustments made. And finally last but not least, the strike zone in softball is an absolute joke. Pitches a foot outside are called a strike but when you paint the corner on the inner half of the plate its a ball. No wonder half the players on every team flirt with the Mendoza Line. I don't care if it is just one of those accepted things in the sport, it needs to be changed. Just have one of those meetings that college basketball has every year to tell refs that carrying the ball is going to be a point of emphasis, and tell your umps to call a legit strike zone. Maybe then two teams in a three game championship series could combine to crack double digits in runs and someone besides Skip Bayless might actually care about women's softball. Just for the record, I watched it, but did not care. I just want to make that clear.

I hope you enjoyed the first ever edition of Big O Sports Blog, leave some comments and check back for new posts.

6 comments:

Jon Green said...

Good stuff.

I like your idea for NCAA Baseball. Seed them into 4 regions, give out 1-16 in those regions. Have a 1-16/8-9 regional, have a 2-15/7-10 regional, have a 3-14/6-11 regional, have a 4-13/5-12 regional. It'd make for less intriuge in some cases, but if we did seed that way, current 2 seeds would be 5-8, and so basically your geting a 1, 2, 3, and 4 still. Just maybe a little better matchups.

Downside is the travel. the reason for the setup now a lot of times is travel. Keep teams close (UNC regional with Eastern Carolina, Western Carolina and Jacksonville)? The question is if NCAA baseball is big enough now to warrant extra coverage. If you are gonna seed 1-16 it's time to get every game covered on TV. Do a Thur-Fri-Sat-Sun regional on one side, Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon regional on the other side. Super reigonals can be Fri-Sat-Sun on one side, Sat-Sun-Mon on the other. Get CSTV to carry a few reigonals, ESPN can get several, Fox Sports should have some. It'd be great to see. Until the coverage gets bigger for those regionals though I don't think we see a move to get away from the geographic situation now.

Regarding Druant. It's hilaroius. I'm not sure he stopped going to school, I'd like to believe him. I'm not sure I buy Oden as a stud better than Durant for sure. I see Oden as the type that really doesn't want to play basketball, but maybe that's just me. Durant was a stud this year, we'll see what next year is like with tougher competition.

Ravi said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I get what your saying with the regionals thing, and I kind of feel like it's did the chicken or egg come first kind of thing. If they restructured the tournament to how you suggested they would in my opinion give people a better product to warrant more television coverage therefore making the extra travel worth it. However I can also see the side that says it does not make sense to restructure until the added exposure/revenue comes. It's a difficult situation to be in, but clearly something has to be done.

ajhardy said...

It's fun to read your commentary again. Did I ever tell you that Milligan actually played Tennessee for a pre-season slaughter this spring? The girls ended up having a really good season but it just showed the huge difference between D-1 and NAIA.

joser said...

That was pretty good. I noticed something in the tone of the first item that seemed somewhat sour grapes. Perhaps it's because I know of your afinity for all things Florida State. If you want to make it on the national or international scene, you have to disclose it when you have a horse in the race that is probably the single biggest reason for your opinion. :)

Next, in Ravi's defense, he was with his oldest sister the entire time he was watching the WCWS, and there is no way that she would allow him to watch 20 straight hours of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, and ESPNNews a day without throwing her a bone.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with not being able to bench press your own weight. Just because you could bench press me plus two of my three children doesn't make up for the fact that I totally owned you wrestling when you were 14.

Anonymous said...

The key two words in your college baseball discussion may be:
'Florida State'.
It sounds to me like sour grapes...if Florida State had won their regional like they were supposed to as a #1 seed (on their home field!!) you wouldn't have written what you did!
Just because five of the top eight seeds lost in the regionals does not mean something is wrong with the NCAA baseball tournament...it's baseball! You know just as well as I do that in baseball, on any given day, anything can happen! (i.e., a .188 UM hitter hitting a game-winning HR off Vandy's David Price - the number one pick in the MLB draft). To me, that's the beauty of baseball and why it's always been my first 'sports love'.
I'm not saying that I don't think there could be some improvements to the tournament set-up...I personally don't like how the regionals are so 'geography-based' (i.e., all Carolina teams together, all Texas teams together, all California teams together, etc.). I believe that knocks out better teams more than the 'seeding' does - though I'm sure an argument could be made that the two go hand in hand (geography + faulty seeding). I would like to see them throw out the geography/travel factor and therefore 'improve' the seeding.
However, with all that being said, I still think your argument is pretty weak - Florida State, Vanderbilt, Texas and San Diego all should have won their regionals on their homefields against lesser competition. Arkansas was the only top 8 seed that I strongly doubted - I thought Creighton would win that regional.
Anyway, just like with most sports, the underdog pulling off the upset is always good for the game - so, I think this year's tourn. upsets will only bring more fans, which will result in more coverage, which will bring in more money, which will hopefully result in the reduction of the geography-based travel restrictions...making your dream of 'better/truer' seeding come true. (that was a mouthful of a run-on sentence! LOL)

Hilarious stuff on Durant - I hadn't heard that story...but, I'm thinking he could still possibly make a better player than Oden in the long run (just a feeling). That being said, I think both Durant and Oden would have benefited from one more year in college.

Pink-shirt wearing manly admission: not only did I watch the WCWS, I actually cared!! Rhonda, Jordyn, Brendon and I actually had a bracket-pool going. (I won) We will also actually be paying to see some professional fast-pitch softball this summer in Akron (Akron Racers) - about 45 minutes from here. I also really wanted to see Monica Abbott get the only thing missing from her resume - a National Championship.
Obviously the fact that Jordyn was the starting pitcher (winning pitcher in 11 of their 13 victories) as a freshman on her varsity team has some bearing on my interest in softball. When it's played correctly (esp. at the D-1 level, it's very entertaining!)
I do agree that it would be even more entertaining to see them move the bases farther apart...however, I think the close bases do provide for a lot of entertaining 'bang-bang' close plays and require some quick, athletic abilities (to move to the ball, to throw quickly/accurately, etc.)
As far as the home plate umpires - they were pretty horific - we commented on it every time we watched a game!! I'm not sure what the problem or solution is on that one. I wonder if it's harder to see since the pitcher is so much closer and the ball is coming in from below rather than above or the side. (??)
Anyway, nice blog idea!! Good, fun thoughts!!
Oh yeah - go Florida State!! (LOL - they'll be sitting home watching with my Huskers, Ben's Blue Jays and my daughter's Longhorns!!)

Ravi said...

Haha, well clearly people that know me understand my motivation for wanting a change in the NCAA baseball tournament, and they are right, Florida State had a good team this year and lost in the first right, and I was not happy about it. That doesn't mean I'm wrong though. If anything it may prove my point. FSU had a terrific season and when they got to the NCAA tournament they were rewarded with very little except home-field advantage, which in college baseball doesn't mean a whole lot. The loss of Creighton also contributed to my feelings on the subject, they had a great season and got a pretty raw deal with the regional seedings. But you are right, if Florida State had won I would not be complaining, however just because I'm not complaining doesn't mean the system isn't flawed ;o) Thanks for your comments everybody, keep checking back and keep them coming.