Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Don't Worry, I'm Alive

Hey sports fan, I apologize for the layoff. I am in the extensive process of starting a Mafia family which is dominating most of my time. I will do my best to keep up on my blogging while starting this venture. Some of you may have been wondering why I have cut back from posting everyday to just a few times a week, the answer is pretty simple. I really just want to make sure I don't get burned out on the whole thing. I feel like I will be able to give you a better product if I post slightly less frequently. We're going for quality over quantity here people. Also I am proud to announce that I have been brought on by a site called ChewThemOut.com to do some writing for their page. They are also a sports blog as well with several writers on staff. I encourage you to check out their page, I am posting for them about once a week, usually on the weekends. My post this week is a nice little bit about boxing, if you are a fan at all, or even if you're not, you might enjoy reading it.

One last little bit of house keeping before we get to the meat of today's post, I just wanted to respond to Keith who was nice enough to take the time to comment on my All-Star Break Awards post. Keith wanted to know where I got my footage of Japanese baseball players to know that they all slap swing. I have two "sources" if you will. First of all, I was one of the exactly seven people to stay up in the middle of the night to watch Japan play in the World Baseball Classic last year. This is in fact where my thought that 90% of Japanese players swing like they're in the Women's College World Seires was first born. My second source of Japanese baseball footage is the same place that everyone finds every video they could ever hope to watch, YouTube. While the Red Sox were in the process of bidding for and eventually landing Daisuke Matsuzaka, I did a good deal of scouting on him. Yes, I realize this means that I am far too invested in being a fan of a baseball team, to the point where it is probably unhealthy. Yes, I also realize I will probably one day have to see a shrink for this. Anyway if you type in Daisuke Matsuzaka, Kei Igawa, or Akinori Iwamura, you should find a plethora of Japanese baseball footage.

Now on to today's topic, Steroids in Golf. And no, I'm not kidding. Gary Player was quoted as saying that he knew of at least two players for sure who were using performing enhancing drugs. He said he didn't know if it was HGH, creatine, or just your regular run of the mill anabolic steroids, but he estimated at least 10% of golfers were juicing (just in case you were wondering, yes I did laugh out loud when typing that statement). Here is what I know about the possibility of performance enhancing drugs in golf. Every one on the PGA Tour passes the eyeball test. I'm fairly certain most of these guys couldn't run the mile in under 10 minutes and couldn't bench press their own weight (which would make them eligible to be drafted second overall by the Seattle Sonics, I'm sorry Mr. Durant, I can't let it go). Actually there is one guy on tour who you could possibly, maybe, say doesn't pass the eyeball test. Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods is straight up jacked. But he doesn't look like a guy on steroids to me. He's been pretty freakishly athletic and strong looking for being a golfer his whole career minus a small stretch after his marriage. I whole heartedly chalk it up to Tiger realizing he was reaching into Phil Mickleson territory with his body, and upping the work out regime. End of story. No one is going to accuse Tiger of doping, and lets be honest, no one else on tour looks like they possibly could be.

THE END!

1 comment:

Keith said...

Ravi,

True statement on TW not being a juice-head! I think it would have come out already.

As for the Japanese footage, thanks a lot. I also wanted you to know that I went to the WBC last year at PETCO park in San Diego and caught the 2 semi-final games: Cuba vs. Dominican Republic (slow and lame) and Korea vs. Japan. We sat in the rain for the Japan game -- in the Korea section. It was one of the best games I've seen.